What is my current setup?For the past year or so I've used a Homespot NFC enabled Bluetooth audio adapter to stream music from my phone through the 3.5mm aux port in my car. Meanwhile my phone has been attached to the air vents with a Tetrax Geo magnetic mount. This is used with my Samsung Galaxy S5.
If you have a Nexus 5, this will work even better.
While it's been pretty good, there have been a few flaws:
- The Tetrax mount requires an unsightly metal button to be stuck on the back of your phone though otherwise works fantastically!
- The Homespot NFC audio adapter needs to be tapped with your phone each time you get into the car, pretty annoying.
- The charger for the NFC audio adapter is quite large and takes up the cigarette port, meaning you can't charge the phone at the same time.
What's the plan then?This is how I intend to improve my setup:
Add a QI receiver card to my phone to charge it wirelessly
- Add an official Samsung wireless charging cover as it doesn't mess with the NFC so bad.
- Acquire a new Kinivo Bluetooth audio adapter to pair once and automatically connect with when starting the car. Bonus points for still leaving a free USB port in its cigarette lighter adapter.
Add Neodymium magnets to a QI charger pad and add a thin steel plate under the back cover of the phone.
- Get an Air Dock supplied with a magnetic sticker and CD mount (watch out for customs fees!).
Mount the QI pad to the car dashboard with a Brodit ProClip (different depending on car model)
I've trimmed the magnetic sticker down so it fits inside the Samsung charging cover and the Air Docks tacky front combined with the magnets hold the phone pretty firmly.
The Kinivo bluetooth kit also works really well, you can change the track playing by tapping the buttons on the top and the microphone is plenty sensitive enough for a phone call.
References:QI Car mount - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdA9ucWf9uk
Phone mount with steel plate - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBhfphUFcM8
Air dock with CD mount - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-QuNapWCvc